Anandashram is situated the elegant and magnificent building of Anandashram Sanstha in Appa Balwant Chowk, in the heart of Pune city. This institution was founded more than 130 years ago by the renowned and successful High Court Advocate Mr. Mahadevarao Chimanaji Apte ( 1845-1894 A.D). Mahadevarao’s uniqueness lies in donating all his property to the trust he formed for setting up Anandashram Sanstha. At the end of his life Mahadevarao decided to formally and ritually renounce but only after fulfilling his dream of Anandashram with the Shrisachchidananda temple therein. He tried for and got the permission from the British Government, well in advance for his Samadhi below the temple and then was initiated in atursannyas.
Thereafter, his nephew Mr. Hari Narayan Apte, the famous social reformer and historical and social novelist, thinker, journalist, and Sanskritist, etc. took the work of AnandashramSanstha forward on the three broad objectives outlined by the founder Mr Mahaderao Apte.
1. Encourage progress of Sanskrit language by publishing books in Sanskrit on all subjects of Hindu religion as well as Indian culture. Further tocollect, archive and preserve manuscripts of historically valuable Sanskrit works making them available to future scholars and researchers.
2. Build and maintain a temple of Shrisachchidananda Shivashankara
3. Encourage education of students by providing assistance for lodging, boarding, scholarships etc. The eligible students may study any discipline for subsistence or for their academic interest but should invariably possess very good character.
Over the years Anandashram Sanstha has been working diligently to progress the objectives set by the founders & much progress has been achieved. Over the years, while the context may have changed, the vision remains very relevant &indeed there is scope to do more work.
LIBRARY & SANSKRIT REFERENCE BOOKS PUBLICATION
The stone building which is in the centre of the present premises of the Institute houses the library which stores published books as well as the manuscripts collected from places all over India.
The institute has published 146 books and 197 volumes in Sanskrit on various subjects of Hindu religion and Indian culture which run into 64000 pages. All these books are printed after the research done under the supervision of the able Pandits (scholars) engaged by the Institute. In olden days these were printed by Herculean system. After 1950 A.D. such Sanskrit scholars have become rare and unavailable for this time-consuming task. Currently, what is done is only to reprint the old titles. These are in demand by Mathas and Sanskrit Universities, researchers and students from Kanyakumari to Himalayas.
These books are sold very reasonable prices as was the desire of the founder.
|Sr. No.||Subject||Number of Books|
Though 45% of the titles are reprinted and republished during last 25 years, the rest 55% are still waiting for reprint due to shortage of funds. Every year just one or two titles which are in demand get published according to the funds and donations available. Please support this effort thru your generous donations so that this old valuable knowledge can be made available to all.In 2016 the second part of the text “TaittirīyaĀraṇyaka” was reprinted together with ten pages of introduction in English using, for the first time, the new desk top printing technique, whereas the other part is still waiting for the necessary funds.